24 September 2017

Dorset Garden Diary - Still Plenty To Be Done

Evening everyone,

Thought I'd come back from holiday feeling refreshed and raring to go, but we did so much I'm nearly falling asleep every time I sit down!

Apparently, there was some wild weather for a couple of days while we were away - some pots were blown over, the sunscreen material over the greenhouse was blown off even though it was weighted down and the upright cold frame was blown over despite it being secured. Mr Digga senior had some tidying up and repairs to do...thank you.

The first thing we did when we arrived back was to feed the fish. I'd like to say they were pleased to see us but it was only cupboard love. The cottage garden is still filling out
I'll need to divide the grasses in the spring. The side garden at the back is now overgrown, but pretty.
The 'fried egg' climbing rose is back in flower,
next door's overhanging fig tree has fruit
the honeysuckle over the top arch is flowering again
the olive tree has fruit although I don't think they will actually develop
there are tomatoes on the plant that decided to grow in the flower bed by the greenhouse
and a tomato plant has decided to grow in one of the flower pots.

Him indoors mowed the lawn, cut back the blackberries out the back and is going to move the large compost bin so it's more accessible; stored away the outdoor furniture and the BBQ so now, of course, it's going to be sunny and warm!

I sorted the onions to dry again after their soaking and pulled up all the overgrown radishes. The carrots and parsnips are still doing well. In the greenhouse the cucumbers are dong what they should have been doing earlier in the summer - growing!

And the last of the razzmatazz chillies are ready for picking
We went to the recycling centre with a boot full of garden rubbish then onto the garden centre to get my free daffodil bulbs.

On Friday the temperature in the garden was 20C 60F but in the greenhouse it was 28C 76F. I removed about one third of the pond weed as it was taking over and left it by the side of the pond so any creatures caught up in it could get back in and then put in the pond clear solution - it's working, gradually.

Saturday there was a stunning sunrise before the clouds arrived but it stayed warm all day. I pottered about deadheading and scarified the lawn with the rake. I piled up the fallen leaves in a corner of the garden for over-wintering insects.

Sunday - humid today, started sunny then cloudy then spits of rain and finally the rain won in the afternoon just as I was in the middle of planting out the Troy onions and Jerome shallots. Whilst I was digging and preparing the earth I dug up two more potatoes!

Well I think that's about it. The weather for the coming week is changeable but still staying mild (get the BBQ back out!). Have a good week...



Follow me on Twitter @DaisyDigga